The National Book Development Board is the government agency mandated to develop and support the Philippine book publishing industry. Created by RA 8047 or the Book Publishing Industry Development Act in 1995.
Major Areas of Concern
♦ Enhancing the Competitiveness of the Book Industry
♦ Developing and Supporting the Creative Sector
♦ Strengthening the NBDB
♦ Enhancing Textbook Quality Procurement
♦ Enhancing Local and International Markets for Philippine Books Goals
1. Create conditions conducive to the development, production and distribution of books, especially the acquisition and adoption of
state-of-the-art technology, equipment and machineries on book publishing.
2. Obtain priority status for the book publishing industry.
3. Ensure an adequate, affordable and accessible supply of books for all segments of the population.
4. Promote book readership especially among the young and neo-literates, through programs promoting literacy and good reading habits,
book fairs and exhibits and an efficient nationwide system of libraries and reading centers especially in the rural areas.
5. Promote development of indigenous authorship and of translations among various language groups in the country.
6. Promote the translation and publication of scientific and technical books and classic works in literature and the arts.
7. Promote effective distribution of books in the domestic as well as in the international markets through an efficient and reliable postal and
transport delivery system.
8. Promote the concept of intellectual property ownership and protect the rights of authors and publishers by strictly enforcing copyright laws
and providing legal assistance to authors and publishers in suits related thereto.
9. Promote, whenever appropriate, the use of recycled/waste paper and other inexpensive local materials in the manufacture of books to
reduce the cost of such locally produced books. Ensure the country's commitment to the UNESCO principle of free flow of information and
other related provisions as embodied in the Florence Agreement and in other similar agreements.
NBDB is the leading catalyst for building a culture of reading and
authorship as well as an environment for the growth of the book
publishing industry towards making it globally competitive.
To promote the continuing development of the book publishing
industry, with the active participation of the private sector, to ensure
an adequate supply of affordable, quality- produced books not only for
the domestic market but also for export.